Because there are so many choices for natural health drinks, it is baffling to nutritionists why anyone still consumes soft drinks. Unfortunately, when they are often associated with fun things like movies and sporting events, soft drinks are not fun for the body.
Here are 5 reasons to take another look at the dangers of soft drinks and discover why natural health drinks are a good alternative.
1. Soft drinks are like a diuretic, depriving the body of crucial hydration. A substantial amount of water is required just to process the high levels of acidic ingredients and sweeteners in sodas. To hydrate completely, 8-12 full glasses of water are necessary for every soft drink consumed. On the other hand, health drinks made with natural ingredients assist the body in the absorption of water.
2. The high sugar content in soft drinks can cause the pancreas to secrete excess insulin, leading to blood sugar spikes and crashes. This is usually most noticeable after a meal that is high in simple carbs from items like bread, pasta and desserts. The constant ups and downs of sugar and insulin can lead directly to diabetes. This is a very real concern for growing children.
Almost everyone, including children, will choose natural health drinks that taste good. Fortunately, there are some excellent choices made with whole food ingredients. We’re not talking about those sugary vitamin waters made with isolated vitamins from a lab and enhanced with candy-colored dyes, but health drinks made from real whole foods, like fruits and herbs.
3. Soft drinks interfere with digestion. Common soft drink ingredients like phosphoric acid, caffeine, and high fructose corn syrup virtually shut down the digestive process, forcing the body to spend more energy on those things while crucial nutrients go to waste. That means the body is essentially taking in fewer nutrients from any food being consumed, especially when followed by a soft drink. Health drinks with natural ingredients are well equipped to work with the body’s natural digestive processes.
4. Many diet soft drinks include artificial sweeteners that have been associated with depression, insomnia, neurological diseases and a plethora of other illnesses. As of today, the FDA has received in excess of ten thousand complaints from consumers regarding Aspartame. That is eighty percent of all consumer complaints about food additives. This is encouraging many wise consumers to take a closer look at stevia, an herbal product that is hundreds of times sweeter than sugar, but is known to be helpful for maintaining normal blood sugar levels in healthy individuals. Stevia has no calories and registers 0 on the Glycemic index, is made from herbs in the Chrysanthemum family, and adds quite a bit of flavor to natural health drinks without causing problems for the pancreas.
5. Soft drinks are so acidic they have been known to leach aluminum from their own cans when sitting on the shelf too long. Alzheimer patients who have been autopsied reveal significant levels of aluminum in their brains. Soft drinks have been used to remove rust from a car bumper or other metal objects. It’s not difficult to visualize how harmful they can be for the digestive tract as well as the rest of the body, including the brain.
Be observant and you will see the multitude of ways that these bubbly little beverages are destroying the health and the lives of far too many people, and why natural health drinks are far better for the body than soft drinks.
Author Cliff Everett Smith is the managing partner of www.BestHealthFoodStore.net, the online health food store that offers natural health drinks and concentrated whole foods not typically found in retail stores. Take the store’s free alkaline foods test to determine the balance of alkaline foods and acid foods in your diet.
Tags: Health and Fitness