Allergic contact dermatitis is a kind of rash which will develop on the skin of persons that come into contact with plants that incorporate poison oak, poison sumac, and Poison Ivy. Plant dermatitis, which will be the rash that many persons develop soon after touching these plants, will be the most common kind of skin condition that occurs from plant contact. Rather substantial locations of the skin might be affected with the hives that these plants are known to trigger. A different common indicator that a person has had an allergic reaction to poison oak, sumac, or ivy, will be the blisters or bumps that appear on the skin which are filled with fluid. This kind of rash usually becomes incredibly itchy, red, and uncomfortable, and it usually appears on the skin in streaks or lines.
Typical Symptoms Skilled with the Rash of Poison Oak, Sumac, or Ivy
The urushiol or the oil that is contained in poison oak, sumac, and ivy is an allergen and is what causes people that are allergic to this substance to break out in a rash of plant dermatitis. This oil might be identified inside the stems, leaves, berries, flowers, and roots of these plants. When a person comes in contact with this oil they’ll commonly expertise the following symptoms:
– Blisters or bumps that include fluid that usually leaks out
– A redness of the skin or streak may perhaps be noticed where the plant came in contact with the person’s skin
– The area of skin that touched the plant will usually grow to be incredibly itchy
– Hives (substantial locations of raised skin) or bumps will begin to form on the skin
What a whole lot of persons aren’t conscious of is you don’t necessarily need to touch a poison oak, sumac, or ivy plant to have an Allergic reaction towards the plant that forms a rash. The rash may also be caused by an indirect contact towards the urushiol in these plants. This usually happens when a person has touched sporting equipment, articles of clothing, tools for gardening, as well as other items that have the plants urushiol on it. Contrary to what some people think, a person can’t get this type of rash by simply touching the rash of a further infected individual.
In a majority of instances the rash with typically show up around 48 hours soon after contact. There’s however times that it can take so long as 15 days for the rash to appear. If it is actually the first time a person has had a reaction to poison oak, sumac, or ivy, it can take over a week for the rash to show up. In later reactions it may perhaps only take one or two days for the rash to appear.
How you can Treat the Rash Brought on by Poison Oak, Sumac, or Ivy
The treatment of the rash that is caused by these plants is uncomplicated and inexpensive. In most instances the rash might be successfully treated at residence. This entails washing the affected area as soon as attainable. Baths created of cool water and cool compresses usually assist to relieve the symptoms of the rash. Calamine lotion and antihistamines may also be purchased over-the-counter.
Tags: Health and Fitness